Sunday, July 4, 2010

Lazy Sunday Afternoon and Why I Love HBO

So most of you love HBO because of great programming like TRUE BLOOD and ENTOURAGE and BIG LOVE and those are all valid and amazing reasons to love HBO. Mine is all of that plus a little something extra. I think HBO is obsessed with the 90's and I'm digging that about them. This was the decade of my youth/adolescence. I don't think it gets much better than the 90's (the clothes got better, I'll give you that much.)

In the span of a week or two, HBO was on a 90's love fest, broadcasting the likes of CLUELESS, REALITY BITES, JURASSIC PARK, HOME ALONE, SHOWGIRLS, you name it. All of these (yes, even SHOWGIRLS) are highly entertaining (and recommended) in my book, but they also reminded me of a much simpler time, when things were what they were. It was a time of face value. It was a time when the simplistic left an impression. Whether it was the melancholy sounds of Bush's "Alien" on the radio, or back to the beginning for "The Real World," or the fact that it was a more peaceful time in the world, they were truly the years of my life. The time when I grew into who I am today. The person I sometimes miss. Even the sun felt different in that time. It was softer, warm but not overbearing, and it cast this incredible glow on everything it touched. The crisp fall air of an October morning was indescribable and the 30 minutes I got to sit with my friends at the lunch table, priceless.

But before any of us knew it, we were all grown up and those times were long gone. Would I go back if I could? I'm not sure. But I do like going back to the memory. I do like the fact that when this life, this grown up life, starts to cave in, that I have a place of safety I can revisit, just by closing my eyes with "Sixteen Stone" playing in the background. I do miss those days, and those days I will re-visit here, time and time again...







No comments:

Post a Comment